Are you ready for free Japanese films? If you are then you are in for a big treat as Japan Foundation Manila (JFM) and the Embassy of Japan launches one of the biggest EIGASAI or Japanese Film Festival this year, beginning on July 7 to celebrate JFM’s 20th Anniversary and the 60th year of Japan-Philippine friendship.
There will be more than 80 screenings as the festival runs from July 7 to August 21. The first ever screening will feature KAKEKOMI (『駆込み女と駆出し男』) at the Shang Cineplex on July 7. The screening will be attended by director Masato Harada, who is also scheduled to hold two Director’s Talks during his stay in the Philippines.
On July 8, the Tanghalang Aurelio Tolentino (Cultural Center of the Philippines – Little Theater) will be witness to the one-time special screening of Director Harada’s film, The Emperor in August （『日本のいちばん長い日』）. This screening is in celebration of the formalization of the EUGASAI and Cinemalaya Philippine Independent Film Festival as allied festivals.
The film screening on July 8 will be followed by Director Harada’s Talk. He will share his experience nd knowledge about the art of and his career in filmmaking. There will be a second Director’s Talk which will be at the Shang Cineplex Cinema 2 on July 9 focusing on his film KAKEKOMI.
EIGASAI Japanese Film Festival 2016 Free Japanese Films
There will be a total of twelve free Japanese films which will be featured in this years film festival. Here is the list of the films:
- KAKEKOMI (『駆込み女と駆出し男』)
- The Emperor in August （『日本のいちばん長い日』）
- Chronicle of My Mother （『わが母の記』）
- Ken and Kazu （『ケンとカズ』）
- August in Tokyo （『愛の小さな歴史』）
- Crossroads （『クロスロード』）
- Flying Colors （『ビリギャル』）
- Our Little Sister （『海街diary』）
- Pale Moon （『紙の月』）
- The Boy and the Beast （『バケモノの子』）
- The Great Passage （『舟を編む』）
- The Little House （『小さいおうち』）
Here are the trailers of the films above.
EIGASAI Japanese Film Festival 2016 Screening Dates
- Shang Cineplex Cinema 2 (July 7 to 17)
- Abreeza Mall Cinema, Davao (July 22 to 24)
- FDCP Cinematheque, Davao (July 26 to 30)
- Cultural Center of the Philippines (July 8, August 6, 9, 10 and 12)
- SM Baguio Cinema, Baguio City (August 11 to 14)
- FDCP Cinematheque Baguio (August 15)
- Ayala Center Cebu (August 17 to 21)
- UP Film Institute (August 17 to 20).
Supporters for this years EIGASAI includes the following:
- Shangri-La Plaza, Shang Cineplex
- UP Film Institute
- Cultural Center of the Philippines
- SM Supermalls, SM Baguio City
- Film Development Council of the Philippines
- Japan International Cooperation Agency
- Japanese Association of Northern Luzon
- Sa Lubong-Baguio
- Cordillera Green Network
- JT International (Philippines) Inc.
- Canon Marketing (Philippines), Inc.
- Mitsubishi Corporation, Japan Airlines Co., Ltd.
- Watami, Crystal Cup
- Ozeki Philippines
- Richmonde Hotel Ortigas.
If you happen to watch any of the films or want to support the festival please use the hashtags #EIGASAI2016 and #JFmanila.
Reference: Japan Foundation Manila
Latest posts by David D'Angelo (see all)
- Collecticon 2017 Toys and Hobbies Convention - September 10, 2017
- Cosplay Idol Season 4 Goes to Greenhills - August 26, 2017
- 10 Reasons Why History Con is One of the Best Conventions - August 24, 2017